Sunday, 18 June 2017

First Impressions: Genting Highland Premium Outlets (GPO)

It only took a few months since I was last in the area, but this week was the soft opening of the Genting Highlands Premium Outlets (GPO). The old bean wanted to go, and I didn't mind going as long as it wasn't by myself. So the three of us left PJ around 10 something and there wasn't much traffic on the way up. You can't really miss it, it's a little after the Awana hotel, past Gohtong Jaya. It's also at the base of the Awana Skyway/cable car station. 




Parking: RM5 per day. If you have Genting membership, you can get it waived at the autopay machine on your way out. Yes, membership is free. I had to change my old Genting card to the new Genting Rewards one at the on-site membership office. 

Thankfully, despite being not that high up on the hill, there's still a cool breeze there so you won't be sweating your 'nads off like you would at JPO. You can bring a light jacket/windbreaker, but if you're like me, you might not even need that. 

About 70% of the stores are open but only like 30% of the eateries are open, so I might hold off on going depending on what stores you want to check out. There's more low to mid range brands here than there are at JPO - at least there's a Burberry in Johor. Didn't feel like dealing with the lines happening outside some of the stores *coughCOACHcough*

WTF
I can't remember if the Godiva outlets in KLCC and Pavilion have seating or sell desserts; so you might want to go check out the Godiva up there. I think both the Chocolixir and soft serve are a few RM more up there, so I would recommend the other drinks and desserts if you have space for it. 


Came away empty handed. 

Had lunch at the nyonya place, walked around some more and decided I had enough and wanted to leave. When we left around 2 something, there was a crawl on the other side of the road, presumably en route to GPO. 

Besides that, it's a bit underwhelming for me.