Friday, 12 May 2017

Mew - Visuals Tour, KL Live

Mew is back in town to promote their latest album, Visuals.

Couldn't get an early bird ticket (who knew the tickets so laku one?), so ended up with a presale priced ticket. My only complaint was that this time they had TWO opening acts. One opening act is already quite the time suck because they need time to set up and break down the equipment, let alone TWO. With this in mind, I decided to just go a little later. Even when I got there around 8 something, the second opening act was still playing, so I waited a while before finally going in because there was a no re-entry rule in place. 

The security was also pretty stringent, depending on who you pick to frisk you/search your bag: one lady didn't even let eyedrops and gum through. Went with a pakcik who wasn't about to raba me, but he did look through my bag. Luckily my S'well bottle past muster (probably because it wasn't a plastic disposable bottle and we both figured I wasn't gonna throw it willy nilly) so I saved some money on drinks inside (which was price gougingly expensive: regular Tiger was RM20 a CAN, Radler RM15 and even Coke was RM8).

I also scoped out the merch table and it was slim pickings.


I don't know who's bright idea it was to allow smoking INSIDE; it was so smoky it was literally like the song "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes". I only survived without a major headache and dry eye because I wasn't in there the entire time. 

They only came on stage around 10 p.m. and finished before midnight.



Random observations:
  • One of the roadies looked a lot like Matthew Gray Gubler of Criminal Minds, hahahaha....
  • I saw one guy who had the cojones to wear a Shania Twain tour t shirt. 👏👏👏
  • The setlist and guitar pick collectors were on standby after the show, begging MGG and other roadies to toss either one of those items their way. (One of the picks was already tossed during the second encore). Thankfully I managed to take a pic of the setlist from one guy who got it from the control booth (so it had lighting instructions), who was afraid I was gonna ask for one and looked relieved when I said I only wanted a picture of it.