Wednesday, 5 April 2017

Rucksack Inn @ Mackenzie

I've reached a point in my life where the only way you get my money is you have to be (literally) a stone's throw from an MRT station. Especially in Singapore. I also have other requirements, but that's for another day.

Booked a single, windowless room at this property (fka Soluxe Inn) back in December while I still could (read: still had money) on Agoda. Rucksack is a known backpacker's hostel chain in Singapore, but this property is for the flashpacking crowd. I remember walking past this place (past management) when I was at Hangout@Mount Emily and I was like, "Shit, I should stick to some place less steep"

Location: It's literally a walk across a parking lot (and a street junction) from the Little India MRT station (Exit A - Mackenzie Rd). If you're coming from Changi, you would have to change lines (from green to blue) at Bugis MRT. If you're like me who doesn't relish the walk back after a long day out, this is bearable.



Reception: 5th floor by escalator. When I checked in around 4 p.m. (weather-related flight delay and long immigration lines at Changi), I got upgraded to a superior twin room on the 4th floor, which I appreciated. 

Because of the proximity to Rex Cinema, the hotel is Hollywood and movie themed. Which you might say is cheesy, but why not get into it. They also have luggage storage if you need it.

There's a bunch of these SG-themed cushions around the reception

Complimentary hot drinks and snacks. The muruku was a nice touch.
I should mention that while the 5th floor is public access, but the other floors are only accessible by guest key card in the lift that you have to tap before you can press the floor number. It's a safety feature one can appreciate. 



Room: The room I got was at the end of the hall away from the lift and I had to remember not to stomp down the hallway like an elephant especially late at night. There's an ensuite bathroom, complimentary bottled water with drink making facilities, closet, safe and mini fridge (the latter I only found out about later as I was winding down to sleep in the middle of the night). Clean and basic. There's a two-in-one head and body soap in the bathroom, but I brought my own toiletries to use up.





Something I don't see often - bibles


Sleep: I was a little worried about the light and noise (as it was facing the Rex Cinema), but I had nothing to worry about and I slept fine, even if it's for a few hours. Even the light strewing into the bathroom in the morning was tolerable (wooden blinds on the bathroom windows) as the curtains blocked most of the sun out.

View from my room

Guess the movie
Would I recommend it? Heartily.