Wednesday, 22 February 2017

Eddie Izzard: Force Majeure

Back in my twenties and thanks to the Internet, I binge watched and listened to Eddie Izzard albums and specials. His TV and movie roles was hit and miss for me. 

Never in a million years, have I ever hope to see Eddie Izzard perform in person, I didn't want to get my hopes up. I thought he would just make a stop in Singapore and that was it (his Asian tour schedule is INSANE: he really is attempting to perform in every country). It didn't help that right after I bought a ticket to the Singapore show, the KL show was announced and it was days earlier than the Singapore show. So I shut up and bought a ticket to the KL show too. (Psstt.. I still want to sell my Singapore ticket)

I suppose it was just as well that they went with the Galaxy hall in HGH Convention Centre in middle of nowhere Sentul (easier to sell out because of the limited seating) - because his brand of comedy is (I would say) has a niche appeal. While most comedians do the classic setup and punchlines, his is more the "setup, tangent, tangent, tangent..." but the punchlines are in his tangents...



I was so annoyed that I waited this long to finally watch Eddie Izzard and I was under the weather pulak. Cis. So make up for that, I brought my own hot tea and hoped for the best. 

Miraculously, I made it to Sentul before 8 p.m.. I thought about parking at D7 across the road, but thanks to Waze, I made it to the adjacent primary school and got okay parking thanks to the RELA guys. There's a couple of food trucks outside and overpriced Tiger beer inside the hall itself (they have signs telling people not to bring alcohol outside the hall). Loads of white people in attendance, who all seem to know each other. Which begs the question: do all white people in KL know each other or something? 


Kuah Jenhan warmed up the crowd for 10 minutes about #fatpeopleproblems (which I can relate to). 

I have to give Eddie Izzard props: performing for 2 hours the way he does it is no joke. There was a 15 minute intermission after the first hour, after which he did another 45 minutes and then a 15 minute in the encore. He did a sequel (of sorts) to his infamous Death Star Canteen bit where this time, it was God fighting Vader over spaghetti carbonara (great, now when I come across carbonara I'll be thinking of this). His callbacks are pretty hilarious if you paid attention, particularly a certain avian military general. 

Fun night to be had.