Thursday, 8 September 2016

Sesi Induksi SOCSO/PERKESO

I know I don't usually talk about my actual day-to-day, but whatevs. 

One of the things about registering for SOCSO/PERKESO as an employer is that in the approval letter there's a half day induction session at a certain date and time for new registrants/employers, and if you're me and forgot to notify them beforehand to opt out, you're stuck going ("dikehendaki hadir" was the phrase used in the letter). I thought about skipping, but then I wouldn't have any fodder. I also had nothing urgent happening on the day, so what the heck. I also totally forgot about it until a couple days before. 

Drove to the Selangor PERKESO building which is between PJ Old Town and New Town (by the way, first hour parking is RM3, subsequent hour RM2). I was only about 15 minutes late, and even then I don't think I missed much - you just sign in by company name, phone number, email, etc. They also gave everyone a goodie bag which contained a booklet of the Social Security Act, cup water, cheapo snacks (by this I mean Apollo chocolate wafer bar and cheap hard candy which I didn't dig into), a copy of the day's schedule, and a glossy poster which I'm sure none of the attendees need or would ever use... I sat at the back (as I am wont to do), but was later joined by two other ladies who came later. 

The session was held in a nice room on the 4th floor, which was more than adequately air conditioned. I forgot to bring scratch paper for my own notes, etc, so I resorted to scribbling on the back of the agenda. I was also mildly relieved that I wasn't the only straggler - some people came in after 11 a.m., by then which I was like, "what's the point?"

It's three different ceramah, and also an advert/talk for whichever bank was available to sell their online banking services. The first one about their legal enforcement kinda scared the crap out of me, the second one after the banking sell was about SOCSO's perks and benefits, and the last was about their "Return to Work" scheme. 

I don't know how often they conduct these sessions, but I'm guessing often enough that the people presenting these talks were less than excited. To be fair, most of their talking points are either on the website or in the booklet we all got, so...  I know I spaced out some. 

Of course there was also a session on online banking and they got a guy from Hong Leong to wax lyrical about the merits of online banking. 

Also, getting people to hold their questions to the end of the talk was not easy: one lady asked multiple times about whether they have to pay foreign employees' social security or not (no), which led me to believe that she either has been paying hers SOSCO (which is not possible, since it's registration by IC, and your IC number is also your SOCSO number) or it was something else. Now I totally get why people would rather employ foreigners... lesser paperwork to some extent :P 

Another main takeaway for me was that you can also claim SOCSO if you got into a commuting accident between work and on your way to lunch. There's also a maximum death benefit of RM1,500 for surviving family members, which won't be enough for a Chinese funeral, but I don't know about funerals of other races, so I better not say. 

It was also nice of some of the speakers to give out their direct line phone numbers and also their work email for people's further enquiry. I stayed until after the last video (about their "Return to Work" scheme) was played, and asked one of them something something before I left the building (I was getting cold and hungry).