Thursday, 12 May 2016

Ada Apa Dengan Cinta? 2

Figured that I wouldn't exactly spend MY OWN MONEY to watch this, I finally used up the last free e-voucher (thanks, GSC!) to watch the sequel to the massive Indon hit of 2002, Ada Apa Dengan Cinta? called Ada Apa Dengan Cinta? 2 (or AADC?2). I was as surprised as anyone else when I heard the news last year that they were shooting the sequel 14 years after the first movie. (If you thought the time between Zoolander movies was long - was there ever demand for a AADC sequel? I thought the first movie tied things up okay.) 

I was one of those people who didn't catch the initial cinema run, but probably saw it on TV afterwards. Hilariously enough, I was probably the only non-Malay in the room watching this when I went. Don't worry if you don't speak or understand Bahasa Indonesia - the English subtitles on the bottom were not bad... better than the comically hilarious English subtitles in other movies shown here, anyway.  

Because it's not a damn Marvel movie where you can pretty much read the entire movie plot on Wikipedia, here's the gist for #AADC2: Set 14 years (real time) after the first movie (after Cinta got unceremoniously dumped via letter from Rangga about 5 years into the LDR), the two leads happen to be in Yogyakarta at the same time (she on a girls' trip, he working up the courage to meet the mother who left him all those years ago). Sparks fly between them, but she's all conflicted because she JUST got engaged to another guy, he basically never got over her and stuck in a writer's slump. Long story short, they FINALLY got back together, all these years later.   
  • Have to like that the animated opening credits was just a recap of the first movie.
  • Also have to like how the roles are reversed on the posters of both movies if you look at them side by side.
  • OF COURSE Cinta would be running an indie art gallery - she's not the corporate cube rat type :P 
  • I have no idea if it was written and delivered the way it was because they know that it won't be just fellow Indons watching it (it's only out in Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei, if I'm not mistaken), or because they're no longer high school kids and don't use slang terms much anymore, but I finally got the gist of what they're saying. My guess is the former. 
  • Holy shit, those two still pretty much look the same as they did before. 
  • I don't remember Cinta's squad, which was just as well, because it turns out that one of the girls died in a car accident in between movies. I don't know if it's because they can't get the actress to reprise the role, or something else happened behind-the-scenes. 
  • I wonder if this will spark a AADC?2 tour in Jogja like what Eat, Pray, Love did for its featured locations? 
  • Of course it was ditzy Milly who ended up marrying Mamet (who was also in the first movie). Also, she very funny as the designated comic relief. 
I was groaning a little when I saw that the movie is 2 hours long, which felt even longer when the movie only started at 9.30 p.m. after the ads and trailers. It could've been a bit shorter, I felt, but ehh... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I've read that people have cried watching this, and having shed some tears myself (but also laughing like a crazy person), it's not hard to see why.


I have no idea how long it's going to be in cinemas, but catch it if you can - it's only (at this point) in selected GSC cineplexes, but probably in most of the TGV cineplexes in the Klang Valley. 

If you have nothing to watch at the cineplex, or remember the first movie and don't mind watching Rangga and Cinta again, go nuts.