Christina Orow, Marina Tan & Safia Hanifah perform in Pentas 2 this January in Marble Hearts, a modern tragedy "playing in the wings" of William Shakespeare's King Lear.
This new play tells the stories of three sisters - Goneril, Regan and Cordelia - who seek to find their own way in life as their aged and abusive father descends into insanity.
The play intersects with the plot of King Lear at key moments but presents an entirely new perspective on the sisters' hopes and fears as well as relentless pursuit of ambition that drives them each towards seemingly inevitable self-destruction - but are they as calculative as they seem,? Which is the victim, and which of their stories is true?
As a curtain-raiser for the klpac's 2016 Shakespeare Festival (commemorating the 400th anniversary of the playwright's death), Marble Hearts features Shakespeare's original lines from King Lear and elsewhere as well as new dialogues in prose and modern blank verse.
- Unless the seat is marked "RESERVED", I'll sit where ever I can.
- I kind of wish that the latecomers would find their seats more quietly instead of stomping around like they were on a fashion runway. Very the distracting :P
- It's been over a decade since I saw Christina Orow on stage in a more dramatic role than erm, Actorlympics, and that was also about a few years ago now.
- The trench coat Christina wore in the first scene (black with the contrasting khaki detail) looks really familiar, but can't remember from where. My guess is either Banana Republic or Gap. I need to know!
- Even from 20 feet away, I have no idea if Marina was wearing a well fitted bald cap or if her head was really shaved.
- I don't know if it's the me, but I'm not quite sure what happened in the end - was it all a hallucination, or did it actually happen?