Saturday, 17 October 2015

Saturday morning at St John's Cathedral KL

Another former collegemate (whom I've not seen in years) came back to KL to get married and because her husband's family is Catholic, the church/religious ceremony was held in St John's Cathedral, which is in downtown KL. 

Although not religious myself, I decided to just go to the church ceremony mostly to see what one of those was like... and I otherwise would have no reason to ever be at said cathedral or in that neck of the woods anyway. I also drove there over the public holiday for recon: to get my bearings and to be sure I won't be totally lost on the day of. I could've taken public transport down (because it's not far from Masjid Jamek LRT), but getting there in a sweaty mess? No thanks. 

Fast forward to the day of: With very little traffic, I made it there with plenty of time to spare, even when I had a brain fart, missed the entrance gate and had to go one big round (couldn't just U-turn), made a grey area U-turn back. Because of the smaller turnout, there was plenty of parking on the grounds... don't think that'll be the case on Sundays :P

One of the first things that came to mind was that it reminded me of the TARDIS on Doctor Who - definitely way larger on the inside than out. There were only fans inside, and unless you're sitting where the fans were blowing, it gets stuffy really quickly. I don't know if it's where I was seated, but the sound system wasn't so great - it's like hearing adults talk in the Peanuts cartoons - but enough for me to keep track of the ceremony in the programme. 

Some of the other collegemates had travelled from as far as Borneo, Penang (and Bangsar) to be bridesmaids, so I thought I show some er, "moral support" because no one else from college was there :P 

Actual ceremony started about a few minutes later and probably took about 45 minutes from start to finish. 

I had wondered why some of the pews had mics: they were for the choir :P
After the service, it was a buttload of photo taking. Left as soon as the bridal party was about to leave to do the tea ceremony at the bride's parents' house. Didn't go as I had other things to do (if you follow me on Instagram, you would know what I got up to afters) and would need to go home to freshen up before the reception later... 

So stay tuned for Part 2?