Thursday, 13 August 2015

Fantastic Four

I was at the cineplex mostly decided to catch the early screening of The Man From U.N.C.L.E... until I saw that the tickets were RM12.50 and I wasn't going to pay that much to see Armie Hammer in  another big screen adaptation of an old TV show. So I ended up watching the widely panned Fantastic Four reboot, just to see if I would like it like I did the Lone Ranger movie.

As someone who's still tickled by the intro to the 1967 cartoon series that I remember watching back in primary school on Cartoon Network (the entire series is on YouTube!) and sort of enjoyed the previous decade's Fantastic Four movies (I still say Jessica Alba was miscast as Susan Storm, screw everyone else who doesn't think that).. or rather, just Ioan Gruffudd *fans self* and maybe Julian McMahon as brilliantly cast Doctor Doom. Heck, even Chris Evans before he was redeemed as Captain America. 

Back to this reboot... 
  • OMG - it's Homer!
  • At least the movie explained why a black dude is playing Johnny Storm/Human Torch - turns out Susan/Invisible Woman is adopted from Kosovo. Pretty progressive, I thought.
  • How is it for a movie that's almost 2 hours long still has more holes in the plot than Swiss cheese?
  • Tom Hanks's other son is in this movie. 
  • I admit, I was already cringing when they made that first trip to the other dimension.
  • They made Jamie Bell's Ben Grimm more bodoh than the character really is in the canon.
  • Jamie Bell's American accent is pretty good. Also the first English guy to play The Thing. Notice that he never says his catchphrase at all here. Or wears any clothing as The Thing. 
  • Have to like how you never hear anyone say "Fantastic Four" until the words pop up on the closing credits.
  • You know it's cham when there's no post credit stinger or a Stan Lee cameo of any sort.
  • I'm more surprised there wasn't a Alan Smithee credit :P
Based on how it's doing, it's not likely that we'll ever see a sequel from this reboot (though it'd be nice to see how things went on). Maybe they should wait another 10 years, when the rights is about the expire? The link below does explain the constant reboots of certain characters (*coughSpidermancough*).

I didn't mind it, but I feel that it certainly could be a lot better.