Thursday, 9 April 2015

David Mamet's Speed the Plow, KLPAC

Bought a ticket some weeks ago to the local production of David Mamet's Speed the Plow after the early bird ticket sales had passed (still kicking myself for missing that), so I had to pony up the full price of RM68 for the ticket. But it's not often one gets to see Douglas Lim in a play play, let alone both him AND Gavin Yap together on stage (24 years since they last worked together, I read somewhere in the press), so what the heck. 
A short play that revolves around whether to produce a ‘sure-fire-hit’ type film with a very big star or an enlightening, philosophical, intellectually rewarding movie. With a little sexual blackmail in the shape of an ambitious personal assistant, the crackling exchanges between two producers, Bobby and Charlie, is quick, witty, outrageous and very, very funny. 
Featuring Gavin Yap and Douglas Lim, a hilariously funny and wicked tale about the battle between art and greed, set against the modern movie making business. Directed by Paul Loosley.
After driving through the heavy rain to Sentul and was a little soggy walking from the carpark, I wasn't exactly in the mood to donate RM20 for a show programme. 

Saw a whole bunch of Malay students downstairs and I stupidly thought they were there to watch Uda Dan Dara playing upstairs, but no, they were there for the Mamet play like I was. I wonder what's in it for them. I have to give them props for eating takeout McDs at the resource centre. 

Snuck a picture of the stage before the show started
Some aunties took the free seating literally and sat on two of the three seats clearly marked "RESERVED" (usually for the director and his plus-one) - no idea if they really didn't see it or "made dunno". The director could've just asked them to move, but he didn't and they just sat someplace else. Have to give the man props for that. There were also cameras recording the performance in the front row. I was seated along the aisle on the third or fourth row. Wasn't exactly full house, but there were plenty of people.

I was fine with how they kept to the script as it was written and hadn't adapted it or anything. 

I had read that the dialogue delivery was supposed to be fast paced, but I certainly wasn't expecting it to be at the speed everyone was going at, and the play finished about in about an hour, give or take 5 or 10 minutes. People were laughing at the low brow, like the swear words and stuff. If the text of the play was harder to find, I'd be upset. There was also some fake punching in the third scene, and the fake blood was still a little too pink from where I was sitting (which I forgot to write in the feedback form after the show). I was also home before 11 p.m.

It's currently running at KLPAC's Pentas 2 until the 15th, so you still have some time to go catch it, details here. I found out last night that they're adapting the play for the big screen, but seeing as how short the play is, I suspect it might be a "loosely based" sort of movie. If you qualify for the ticket concessions or have nothing better to do or are fans of the cast members (Amelia Henderson is pretty IRL), GO FOR IT.