Saturday, 7 March 2015

Softsrve, Damansara Utama

I was old enough to remember when 7-Eleven used to sell soft serve ice cream called Mr Softee (or was it Frostee?), and when McDonalds and IKEA used to sell them too - anyone else remembers? I was so sad when they each stopped selling chocolate soft serve ice cream. But oh well. 

Finally got around to checking out the new ice cream parlour in DU, softsrve (yep, the missing "e" is deliberate) on it's official first day of business. (Didn't go during their soft - no pun intended, or did I? - launch, even with the 20% discount incentive). It's located along the same block as The Good Batch, Wondermilk, Fat Spoon, etc. Parking is not impossible if you go at night. It's not just soft serve ice cream on the menu; they also have sodas, teas and several cakes in the chiller. 

The only thing about finally going on official first day of business is that they introduced a new topping: churros on both their cereal milk and deep chocolate options. So I went with that. I have to give them props for asking everyone who ordered the churros option if they wanted cinnamon on their churros (I opted not to), as I'm one of those people who doesn't like the taste and smell of cinnamon. Snagged a tiny table for myself along the wall before a family of four could. 

For RM11, at least I found the actual chocolate ice cream to be pretty delicious. It's a darker chocolate than what I remembered as a kid, and definitely not something I could afford as a kid. The accompanying churros was warm, crunchy and well went with the chocolate ice cream. I thought the wooden spoon that came with it was pretty adorable and snagged another on my way out :P 

Having read some other people's blog posts beforehand about the place, I am already aware of the portion deception. It's not something one can afford too regularly, I think. But definitely going back to try the other toppings and perhaps, the cereal milk ice cream. Just not immediately.


Had to reduce exposure in phone camera or something so I could take this.
Couldn't shoot it as I saw it on the bright white wall.

31, SS21/1A, Damansara Utama, 47400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Open Tuesdays to Sundays, 2 - 11 p.m.