Wednesday, 11 March 2015

MACC Presents I Want to Touch A Douglas

Instead of having it at PJ Live Arts, this year's MACC show was at The Gardens Theatre in the eponymous mall. Been needing an excuse to check out The Gardens Theatre for a while now, so yay. This year's title - I Want to Touch a Douglas -  was (I'm guessing) inspired by last year's "I Want to Touch a Dog" event brouhaha (a Malay guy organised a dog petting event for his fellow Muslims and other people who also wants in on that action, only got to get major flack for organising it in the form of death threats and criticism from the erm, religious authorities).

Having parked in Zone B these last few years, I was a little rusty getting to Zone U on the other side and ended up having to go around before I finally got to the entrance. Parking wasn't too bad: parked as close as I got to to the theatre in Zone U, just kept driving all the way up to Level 6, but not before driving to the other end around the 5th floor. Stone's throw away from the entrance.

What you see after opening the glass doors from inside the mall
Tunnel from the garden
This was right outside the entrance.
Cheap seat view
One of the first things I noticed was that it was a little cosier than PJ Live Arts (fewer seats), and the air con was really working its best to freeze everyone. The only major improvement was the cushier seats, haha, which I appreciated massively.

In PJLA, even when you buy cheap seats the view (in general) is still not too bad; here, cheap seats means you don't get to see the video warmup act.

After 20 minutes of the pre-show trailers (which I never watch until I come to the show), funny clips from other shows (notably Comedy Central's Key and Peele) to warm the audience up, Dr Jason started his 10 minute set with how women are the bigger liars with the technology that is "no makeup" makeup. He also announced that he (finally) quit medicine to pursue comedy full time. Jason was the only one who made a reference to the show title in his set.

Chi Ho's 15 minutes started with the 50 Shades of Grey craze, and about gender differences when it comes to shopping, comparing it to military missions ("The point of shopping is in the Malay word for it - "membeli-belah"- you beli already, then you belah!" ROFL).

Jenhan's set was (for the most part) about his mother and her erm, support with regards to his life and career choice. When he started his bit about being a short time alcoholic after a breakup, I knew his poison of choice was gonna be Shandy. Just because.

Douglas's set (also the longest, natch) was so much about local politics, news and politicians that for everyone's sake, I can't repeat any of it. And his animal rescuing wife. He did take a minute or two to make fun of people in the cheap seats this time, but not before asking those in the cheap seats to buy a RM10 poster. Already bought cheap seat, some more expect us to buy poster meh?

Instead of a Douglas Lim original parody song, this year everyone came on stage to sing a song about not jumping to conclusions, macam the Hoe Down and/or Irish Drinking Song on Whose Line? Douglas was right about how it wasn't going to work - please do not make it a permanent thing. That was the only downer of the night for me.

As much as I found this year's show to be mostly amusing, I had to repress and laugh on the inside because I don't want to scare the people in my vicinity with my laugh-coughing (or is it cough-laughing?). If anyone heard loud coughing, it was probably me :P

Show finished before 11 p.m. Luckily I got home before the heavy rain pour.

If you managed to get tickets - have fun! To those who didn't... there's always the siaran ulangan later in the year?