Thursday, 14 August 2014

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)

The TMNT logo of the 1987 animated series.
The TMNT logo of the 1987 animated series. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
As a kid of the 1990s, I grew up watching the (tame, compared to original comic, I read) cartoon and have seen the earlier movies (not in the cinema, I would think, but later). I might've played with the toys and also owned stationery. I wasn't the only skeptic when it was announced that Michael Bay would be producing the 2014 version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I was just glad they didn't make them aliens as earlier announced. 

Scored a pretty good seat in the back row less than an hour before the screening, so I can't complain. 

  • I'm okay with Megan Fox playing April O Neill and the yellow jacket instead of the jumpsuit. 
  • If there was supposed to be "chemistry" between Megan Fox and Will Arnett's characters beyond coworkers, I didn't see it. 
  • I still can't get over Tony Shalhoub as the voice of Splinter. Not in a bad way, more of the "brain cannot compute" sort of way. 
  • The 'roid-ed looking Turtles are freaky looking. Also, don't get me started on the nostrils. Yes, I know actual turtles have nostrils, but still. 
  • Did anyone spot the SNL cast members? 
  • William Fichtner has that unmistakable villain look. There's no way you look at his face and think, "no way he's the bad guy..." WRONG!
  • Turtles in the elevator bit cracked everyone up. 
  • No stinger, but stay a little during the credits. 
Plot is nothing to write home about. I thought it was okay, but still blasphemous to the Turtles of my childhood. They inserted a lot of "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" moments and references for the older fans. It has its funny moments, but not much. Also not exactly worth paying full price, or even at all. But if you're bored (or have no idea because some of you didn't exist all those years ago), I suppose you could go watch it. It's for the young farts, not the old ones. 

PS. io9's spoiler FAQ is laugh out loud hilarious.