Monday, 25 August 2014

Good Vibes Festival 2014 - The Old Fart Edition

This is only the second year of this particular festival, and I didn't go last year even though Smashing Pumpkins headlined. Bought an early bird ticket mostly to see (what the fuss was with) Ellie Goulding (I liked a couple of her songs, I'm a casual fan at best), who's headlining this year. Wasn't going to see anyone else, so I planned to go later in the day, when it's not so hot out :P

I didn't want to drive at first and I had won RM50 cash back from MyTeksi in their contest, but I couldn't make the booking on their app as I couldn't find the festival entry in the search results (wasn't the first result). Which was just as well, because the RM125 cab fare back was... too damn much for me. It would be fine if I was sharing with other people, but by myself? OH HELL NO. Having done the airport run for years, I'm not uncomfortable driving to that area, it's just meh. Only thing was I wasn't sure where the go-kart circuit was, so I used the TomTom. Traffic was okay. Parking was RM10, which was a bit much personally, but still better than cab fare from my neck of the woods and back.

I packed some of what I figured were necessities: 
  • disposable poncho (finally used the cheap Guardian one I bought for the Urbanscapes 2 years ago); very important as it rained on and off for the few hours I was there. Also used it afterwards so I didn't track mud into the car. 
  • Platypus bottle, filled with some water that I've tucked in the bottom of my huge Jack Spade messenger to bypass bag checks. (Since you can't bring in bottled water from outside)
  • Sensible footwear for mud and rain while everyone else was wearing flip flops and nice shoes that got covered in mud, haha. Thanks, Bogs :)
  • Forgot a flashlight :P
Got there about 8 something because I had wanted to check out the rest of the festival. After the long drive, I needed to pee badly and so I had to find the portajohns (which felt like a distance away from the entrance). Luckily they were smart enough to have more female ones than male. My bad luck was manoeuvring myself in a squatting one.  

Bought an iced mocha (RM10 either way, from the Caffe Dottore coffee truck; long night ahead) because I didn't want to pay RM15 for 2 cans of Red Bull (although they have this thing going where you get things like raincoats, etc, if you bring back the empty cans. Good way of not having strewn blue cans anywhere, I guess) and wanted a snack next. Finding something I could eat with one hand (most of them require use of both hands). 

People were still jumping at the end of the night.
They were actually selling clothing in there. But the festival swag and ice cream pops were a nice touch.
 At the Red Bull booth...
They have charging station for your devices, but you have to work for it...
Love a good swing. The liability disclaimer was hilarious.
Yup. the Red Bull DJ kiosk
Because of all the sponsorship, there were areas for 18 and above sponsored by beer and cigarette companies (won't say which ones), which is fun to go and poke around but since I don't drink beer or smoke, it's like the Pope visiting a brothel. 

Gap swag
Since the area is pretty small and the stages were a little too close to each other, I pretty much heard Empire of the Sun and !!! (or chk chk chk) from where I was sitting. Almost got a headache listening to Empire of the Sun from where I was sitting and fortunately I had Panadol on me. 

Everything got pushed back an hour and Ellie Goulding only came on at midnight, performed for an hour and was done. Only got home around 2 a.m., and slept around 3 a.m. because I still had to take a shower.