Thursday, 17 February 2011

Oh cinnamon, how I hate you so

Today is Chap Goh Meh and since it just rained, I'm not sure how the turnout for the orange tossing-for-a-mate is at the moment. But tonight I'm not gonna rant about oranges, oh no - today I'm gonna go bat shit crazy on... CINNAMON.

I hate cinnamon - the smell, taste..., everything about it. Well, perhaps not the aesthetic of cinnamon sticks because that can't be helped. 

Ceylon cinnamon (Cinnamomum Verum) and Indones...Image via Wikipedia


I don't know why I hate it so - I just do. But it must be hereditary, because it turns out my mother doesn't like it as well. I should be glad that it's cinnamon and not kaffir lime (limau purut), like HER mother or else it's hard to enjoy tom yam soup already.

Because of this, there are some stuff that I don't eat (even if present in trace amounts) like cinnamon buns (DUH), apple pie, and Indonesian layer cake - they all REEK of cinnamon. Another mistake I won't make anytime soon is to order a cup of chai (or masala) tea. If there's cinnamon in it, I won't have it.

I even go around past places that sell cinnamon buns whenever possible, that's how adverse I am to the spice.

Oh come on, I can't be the only one...