Friday, 11 February 2011

Gnomeo and Juliet? SERIOUSLY?!

Of all things to make an animated movie about, Shakespeare was one of the last things on that list, even though it's been done to death both on stage and on screen.

But an animated version of Romeo and Juliet with walking, talking garden gnomes? REALLY?! I should be glad that it's not talking animals.

The name is damn cheesy - really, no one could come up with a better title than Gnomeo and Juliet, really? And this is one of Shakespeare's TRAGEDIES. It's Shakespeare for kids. Whether said kids will be inspired enough to pursue a life of Shakespeare after this is another story. (HAHA)

All that aside, I should be glad that most of the big name voice cast are from the UK, like James McAvoy and Emily Blunt. But I also cannot believe that Jason Statham is also in this one (albeit as Tybalt). 

If you go to movie's official site, you can choose a side and create a gnome, the result of which you can save as a messenger icon, iPhone or computer wallpaper.

To be fair, it sounds pretty cute, but I don't think I'll watch it for real, even though I love most of the (voice) cast as an anglophile.