Wednesday, 23 February 2011

Black Swan

Another free one for the books; The Star had a free screening of Black Swan at the second home last night, and as it's more convenient than driving down to Pavilion and/or paying to watch it pretty late at night (11-something p.m.), what the heck.

As it turns out, there were half dozen other publications also holding their Black Swan screenings there the same night - almost half the screening rooms were basically showing the same movie that night. Heh. Wonder if anyone of us would actually pay to see this later. Also didn't help that it was also the longest line going in the place by the time I got there. I thought the seats I got this time wasn't too bad lah. I can't think of anyone who'd want to see a ballet movie and didn't mind lining up for tickets with me, so again, I ended up watching this alone. 
I mostly wanted to watch it because I am a fan of Natalie Portman (but I will not watch No Strings Attached) and I've never actually sat through a Darren Aronofsky film before. I know - shocking, right? I've never seen neither The Fountain nor Requiem for a Dream, but I wanted to way back when. Now I can't be arsed.

Very long story short - Natalie Portman's character, Nina descends into madness when she lands the role of the Swan Queen in Swan Lake.
  • Yeah, they trimmed the sexy scenes a little bit - bit anticlimatic considering the screening times (for when it does come out) will be closer to midnight shows. But I have to remind myself that this is still Malaysia, after all.
  • I don't know about anyone else, but this is one movie I wouldn't really watch with parents, no matter how liberal and open-minded they are.
  • If you didn't already know, you can see Natalie Portman's real-life baby daddy, Benjamin Millepied, as Nina's Prince to her Swan Queen. Just thought I'd say it.
  • You may spend half the time wondering what happens on screen is Nina's psychosis or happening for real - I know it's happened to me like that.
I liked it fine, but that's just me. I don't think it'll win the Oscar for Best Picture.